9.08.2010

Love Story -- Kari On

Enjoy a picture perfect proposal by Kari of Kari On.

He had always been a man of few words. But when you can draw like he does, who needs to say anything? Besides, I talked enough for the both of us.

He and his art caught my eye from the beginning. A couple of starving art students, we sat in the back of Art History 210 whispering and falling in love winter semester of our sophomore year of college. We had talked about getting married, but before we had gotten serious I had committed to a summer job in a resort town and I still wanted to go. I knew he didn’t want me to, though of course, he would never say it. But I was young and independent and wanted some time to myself before I settled down.


The day after finals and the day before I was supposed to leave I was performing with the university choir in a graduation concert. Afterward we were going to go celebrate the end of school and spend our last night together before I left. While driving me back to my apartment to change clothes he was unusually quiet, even for him. I figured it was just the looming good-bye.

We got to my apartment and I quickly headed down the steps to my basement dwelling. For some reason he was lagging behind. “Are you coming? I called back.” He looked sheepish, “I forgot something in the car. I’ll be right back.” I thought little of it and worked on unlocking my door. I could see from a window a bright light shining, which was very noticeable in the depths of a basement apartment. I opened the door to find the darkness of my living room split by a spotlight on the floor shining up on a framed drawing hanging on the wall. It was a proposal worth a thousand words : a charcoal drawing of a vase of flowers sitting next to an open ring box and a note that said, “Kari, Will you marry me ? Love, Jason.” A slit had been cut inside the ring box to showcase a beautiful engagement ring.


This time I was the one who was speechless. With a look on his face that said as much as the drawing, he came through the door. Overwhelmed by his love and courage to ask me to stay in the only way he could say it, I grabbed him and said, “Yes!” I ditched my summer job and we got married seven weeks later. We have now been married 18 years and have three children. He is now a professional artist and his paintings sell for thousands of dollars. But my “picture perfect proposal” which hangs in our bedroom is worth more than gold, diamonds and dollars to me.

Do you have a Love Story worthy of a feature? Send it it gwenisinlove {at} gmail {dot} com

14 comments:

  1. everything about this story is absolutely beautiful!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing proposal story!! so sweet and GORGEOUS charcoal drawing

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so beautiful and PRICELESS!:) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if that's not awesome, I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Love Stories - this one was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooooo cute! Sounds like something right out of a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I saw one today that reminded me of you Gwen: http://vimeo.com/12562270

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story...so romantic! The picture is an awesome keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making memories - you have a priceless one here. I'm very happy for you, thank you for sharing.

    big hugs
    cindy@stitches

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great story! Love it!

    Hey Gwen - my blog address changed.

    http://brinatty.blogspot.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails