The ironic part in this situation is that we had heard them a couple hours previously. And to make it even more funny (to me) is they are newlyweds. We've never, ever had somebody bang on the ceiling for us until now. We know what it's like to live beneath really loud people and try to be as discrete as possible. Maybe, it's time to try out a foam mattress- are those any better?
There must be some unwritten rules about situations like this, but just for fun, let's come up with our own.
- Have sex when and where you want in your own place. If you want it, go get it!
- If it's an awkward time of day/night, try to be discrete. Whisper, don't swing and jump off chandeliers, but it's understandable that there will likely be some noise.
- Don't yell and moan with the windows or door open.
- Don't yell and moan for minutes and minutes on end (e.g. 45 minutes straight). Some voice control is good.
- Try not to bang on the wall, headboard or footboard.
- If you hear your neighbors, give them adequate time to finish. Laugh about it or maybe partake of some fun of your own.
- Invest in a sound machine or sleep with a fan on to drown out potentially unwanted sounds.
There are actually some noise ordinance lawyers that you can look into if you're in a pretty bad situation.
Have you been the downstairs/next-door neighbor banging on the ceiling?
Have you ever had somebody bang on the ceiling hinting that you should quiet down?
What rules do you have about sex when living in close proximity to others?